- revised 28 May 2014
Check out Best Ice Cream, Best Pies, Best Peach Cobbler, and our OTHER FOOD REVIEWS at TasterTestersClub.BlogSpot.com
Best chocolate raspberry flour cake - our favorite
. Burgers & Bourbon, Park City, Montage at Deer Creek, alone: A-; with raspberry sauce, fresh raspberries, and whipped cream: A alone. A+ with their fresh raspberries and whipped cream (comes with the slice - the most expensive in Utah at $14 but for a huge slice).
2. Red Butte Cafe, SLC (we got it with raspberry jam; at times they serve it with fresh raspberries. It was still an A.
3. Seigfried's Deli, downtown SLC B/B+
(Note that there are 2 other decent cakes of their cakes listed in the last section below. We've had all of their's, but these are in our opinion the best.)
4. Special order note: If you requested a full cake from The Chocolate in Orem, they would custom make you a raspberry chocolate cake. In so doing, request milk chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache frosting. It would be an A.
5. Fragosa chocolate cake with raspberry filling and Italian cream. B
Best chocolate decadent (flourless) cake - our second fave
1. (tie). Snake Creek Grill, Heber City. (Also check out their black bottom banana cream pie - the pie filling is a C but the flourless chocolate cake it rests upon, different than the regular flourless cake, is an A.
1. (tie) Chocolate Decadence, at Red Butte Grill, SLC. A
3. Chef's Table, Orem. A-
3. Chef's Table, Orem. A-
Note: Sundance was also a contender for number one, but pastry chef Jessica left in mid 2013.
1. Dave and Cranky Chuckie's, Provo: marble cake A
2. ditto - lava cake A
3. The Chocolate, Orem - "Brooklyn Blackout" - milk chocolate cake with dark choc ganache frosting A-
4. The Chocolate, Orem - milk chocolate cake milk chocolate frosting A-
5. The Chocolate, Orem - The Husband - yellow cake with chocolate frosting B+
6. Gloria's Little Italy. They offer 4 chocolate cakes (we tested them all) of their many cake varieties; their best is "Duomo Cioccolato: A-
7. Ditto: "Turtle," also an A-
8. Ditto. Duromo Cioccolato (moist, but needs stronger chocolate flavor. B-
9. Ditto. tarfuto if warmed (not good unless warmed). B-
10. Red Butte Cafe, SLC, B/B+ Carrot Cake
Honorable mentions (B's):
Harvest, Thanksgiving Point
Iggy's tower cake
LaJolla Groves, Provo bundt cake
(Historical note: Spark in Provo was #8 till they went out of business.)
Numerous others in Utah we tried are B-minuses and Cs.
Best Misc. cakes:
1. Orange Chocolate Mousse Cake, Red Butte Cafe, A+
2. carrot cake - Black Sheep, Provo A+ (at least before mid 2013: it may be different now. Their chocolate mousse before then was the best in the state, but has slipped way down.)
3. carrot cake - Archibald's, South Jordan A-
4 beet cake, weird but gets an A from Pago, SLC A
5. strawberry poppy seed cake (they use seasonal fruits). Red Butte Cafe, SLC A-
6. carrot cake - Red Butte Cafe, SLC B/B+ (Amazingly, this is the lowest grade of all their wonderful cakes.) For Carrot cake, see better offerings above.
7. "Husband," yellow cake with milk chocolate fudge frosting. The Chocolate, Orem. B
9. German chocolate cake - Siegfried's Deli, Salt Lake City B-
10. Gloria's Little Italy - Strawberry white cake with Italian cream and chocolate covered strawberries on top
Note: Little Italy Cakes are good - but most rate a B - of their 11 that we tried. (The higher rated ones are in various categories above.)
12. ditto. tiramisu
Best chocolate cheesecake
1. Godiva chocolate cheesecake, Cheesecake Factory
Note: We tested most of their 30+ cheesecakes and all their chocolate ones. This is the best by far. Second best is:
2. Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake, Cheesecake Factory
Best Chocolate Mousse in Utah
Note: Although Pago's version is a "panna cotta" and thus has no egg whites in it like mousse has, if you like chocolate mousse, we recommend Pago for the best-tasting version of this, which is technically not mousse.
1. Olive Garden, national chain (B+)
2. Mimi's Cafe - petite chocolate mousse B+
3 Tiburon, Sandy - chocolate almond B+
4. Black Sheep, Provo - chocolate B (it used to be the only A in the state until mid 2013)
5. LaJolla Groves, Provo - triple chocolate B-
4. Enliten, Provo - chocolate C+ (but their fruit tarts rate an A. Great cream filling) (They have strawberry and mango mousse as well, both rating Cs.)
5. Appleby's. D
Historical note: Best ever was at Black Sheep before mid 2013: it was the only A. Also good: Spark, Provo went out of business June 2013.
Best Chocolate Pudding in Utah
1. Copper Onion, downtown SLC, dark, A
2. Ruth's Diner, Emigration Canyon, SLC, light, A
3. Trader Joe's (buy in container), dark, B+
7. Kozy Korner (in containers at many grocery stores), light, C (best of the store-bought brands by far)
Best Panna Cotta in Utah (this test was Utah Valley only)
(From northern Italy, this dish (when rarely made right, such as the Top 2 places below do) is made from cream, milk and sugar, with some amount of gelatin. (El cheapo versions, which most are, go heavy on the gelatin and light or non-existent on the cream, using milk probably.)
1. Pago, SLC. Chocolate (VERY similar tasting to chocolate mousse, but, as stated above under chocolate mousse, panna cotta has no egg whites in it)
WARNING: THIS one from Pago IS THE ONLY DESSERT IN THIS SECTION THAT MUST BE EATEN WHEN SERVED - It DOES NOT last - at least if it is out of the fridge for long and then refrigerated and eaten the next day - because it collapses and turns.to a bad texture.
2. Pizzaria 712, Orem (tangy but yummy, with an amazing thin, real fruit sauce). A
Enliten, Provo: C-
HISTORICAL NOTE: The best ever was at Spark, Provo, but out of business since June 2013.
Best Creme Brulee in Utah
1. Sundance, Provo Canyon: vanilla: A- (in 2013, but these places change pastry chefs and go up and own in quality)
2. Chef's Table, Orem: cinemmon: B+
3. Sweet and Savory, Orem: vanilla: B+
4. Harvest Restaurant, Lehi (Point of the Mountain): vanilla: B
5. LaJolla Groves, Provo: tangerene: B-
Historical note: Best item in the Creme Brule family we found was the Creme Brule Cheesecake at Spark Restaurant, Provo; but out of business since June 2013.
Best cinnamon buns in Utah
1. Marley's Sliders - house made A
2. BYU Creamery A-
3. Cinnabon. too sweet for some of us. B+
Best tasting chocolate chip cookies in Utah
We've tested them at nearly every cafe, grocery store, and many convenience stores in Utah, as well as bakeries. This is a subjective list because some like them crunchy, others chewy. One key is to get them made with real butter, not margarine, which filters out 95% on the market. These are our favorite 4:
1. chocolate chip cookes - Daly's Pub in Park City A-
2. Brent and Sam's organic - health food stores such as Good Earth
3. Sam's Choice - WalMart
4. Brent and Sam's regular grocery store version
5. Chili's (giant, warm chocolate chip cookie - in a skillet with chocolate sauce): B/B+
Other Best DESSERTS in Utah
1. chocolate chip giant cookie with ice cream: A: Dave and Cranky Chuckie's, Provo
2. dessert crepe with strawberries, ice cream, chocolate sauce drizzle - Sweet and Savory, Orem: A
3. Bananas foster, Sweet and Savory, Orem - A
4. Sweet Potato cheesecake - Sundance: A-
5. lime-filled cupcaeks: B++ at Sean's Smokehouse, Saratoga Springs (heavy, European style cake with decent lime filling)
6. praline pecan cookie - Kaiser's BBQ, Salt Lake City
7. Lemon meringue tart, Red Butte Cafe, SLC B/B+ (could be in "pies" category)
- check out our ratings on the Best Pies, Cobblers, and Ice Cream in Utah!