Best Pies in Utah
- revised 20 July 2014
Check out our Best Peach Cobbler in Utah, Best Desserts in Utah, Best Ice Cream in Utah, and OTHER FOOD REVIEWS at TasterTestersClub.BlogSpot.com
The best ever were at the Coffee Cup Cafe in Ruskin, Florida, from 1917-1997 (with regular Tampa Tribune newspaper write-ups and people coming from all over the state to eat there). Nothing else we've had comes close except those listed below:
THE FIRST LIST below are Pies that are regularly available. The SECOND LIST are those that are only served on occasion at some restaurants:
FIRST LIST - Those you can buy anytime
The 10 A's:
1. strawberry cream - Rhonda's pies, American Fork
(opened April 2013 off Main St.) A
2. banana cream - Rhonda's pies, American Fork A
3. banana cream - Wild Mustang, Orem / (same as: Crenshaw's, St. George: A-
4. coconut cream - Wild Mustang, A-
5. sour cream apple - Wild Mustang, A-
6. sour cream blueberry - Rhonda's. A-
7. German chocolate pie - Wild Mustang (NOT their chocolate cream pie): A-
(note: the rest of Wild Mustang's pies are Bs and C's - good and fair).
8. cream cheese apple - apparently retired now at Village Inn (it used to be avail. only Nov-Dec) (the rest of Village Inn's pies are horrible): A- for this one pie.
9. pecan - Pat's BBQ, Salt Lake City: A-
10. chocolate pecan - Harvest Restaurant - Thanksgiving Point: A-
The 7 B's:
11. sour cream lemon - Rhonda's Pies, American Fork - B+
12. very berry - B+ Rhonda's Pies, A.F.
13. very berry - B+ Wild Mustang, Orem
14. apple - B+ Wild Mustang, Orem
15. apple - B/B+ Rhonda's, A.F.
16. double cream lemon - Marie Calendar: B- (it replaces their good, former sour cream lemon; but this one is not NEARLY as good. Note that all the rest of their pies rated mediocre at best)
17. lemon tart (really a pie) - B+ Red Butte Cafe, SLC (CHECK OUT THEIR FANTASTIC CAKES AT OUR SITE, "BEST DESSERTS IN UTAH."
key lime pie - a category of its own. If you love this flavor, it's at the top of the dessert list, and it is the favorite dessert in the history of the world for some of us. Even in south Florida (the editor's old stomping grounds), where it was invented, restaurants make it all different ways and in varying degrees of quality (and not all there are good!). The best in Utah are below, and range from rate: B++ to B/B+
#1 Costa Vida (Provo location on University Ave. only rates the top spot - their "pastry chef" makes it differently than other Costa Vida locations.)
#2 Cheesecake factory, Midvale
#3 Red Lobster (they used to buy it from Cheesecake Factory and likely still do)
#4 Market Street Grill
#5 Joe's Crabshack
cheesecake - another category of its own: (the favorite of others of us)
B+ Black Sheep, Provo A- (Note: with the former chef leaving in mid 2013, it may not be as good anymore.
Historical note: Spark in Provo was the best, but out of business in June 2013.
SECOND LIST - MORE A'S - Those you can buy only occasionally
These are AVAILABLE A COUPLE DAYS ONLY when they have them. So, CALL AND ASK THESE PLACES before going! The first two are solid A's:
1. Peanut Butter Pie: Dave and Cranky's, Provo. A. (Holy smokes!)
2. Peanut Butter Pie: Communal, Provo. A-. (This is a mousse-ice cream combo.)
3. Coconut Cream Pie: Communal, Provo: B++ (A on the crust and A+ on the whipped cream, but B on the filling)
Note: Other pies from Rhonda's rate "good" (B's), with only a couple fairs (C's). It's a fantastic place to check out! (Their breakfast quiche's are especially good with the sausage gravy! And their beef pie beats out all we've had in England and the States. Be forewarned the gravy/sauce inside is very mild, not as strong as some. The crust is unusually soft for a meat pie and terrific.)
Pies and Wild Mustang (which is Crenshaw Pies of St. George) are by far not only the best places in the state but the best in several states we have found. We test pies everywhere we find them in our travels. These two leave Marie Calendar's and Village Inn in the
dust. The ones listed above are by far their best offerings.
Note that we've tested all the pies at Rhonda's, Wild Mustang, Marie Calendar, and Village Inn. So, the "best pies" above is a comprehensive test.
Historical note: The peanut butter pie and key lime pie at Soul and Bones, Ogden, were both best in the state for those flavors; but it's now out of business.